Help Centre

Cancelling your policy - OSHC

Need to cancel your policy?

If you’re visiting Australia on a student visa, you’re required to maintain adequate health insurance during your stay. Before you cancel your cover, make sure you have the right health cover for the remaining time that you’re here.

Are you eligible for a refund?

You can apply for a refund if:

  • you’ve paid your premium and did not come to Australia
  • you’ve paid your premium on the basis of an extended stay, but the extension was not approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection
  • you’ve been granted permanent residence in Australia.
  • you can provide proof of other OSHC provided by another organisation which includes the period covered by the provider.

Please keep in mind that:

  • refunds are calculated on a monthly pro rata basis, with a minimum refund of 1 month. This means that if you have under 1 month left to go on your policy there is no refund payable.
  • a minimum cover period of 3 months1 is payable if cover is cancelled while you’re in Australia (this amount will be treated as a fee for processing your refund).

Disclaimer 1There is no minimum cover period if your cover is cancelled before you arrive in Australia.  There is also no minimum cover period if you cancel after you have already returned to your home country.

Getting a refund

To apply for a refund:

  1. Download the OSHC refund form
  2. Complete the form and attach any documentation required
  3. Send to either:
    2. Allianz Global Assistance OSHC, Locked Bag 3001, Toowong QLD 4066
Related articles

Pre-existing conditions

Waiting periods



Still need help?

Our team is here to answer your questions