Help Centre

Getting medical help - OSHC

For medical emergencies

If you have a life-threatening medical emergency, go to your closest public hospital emergency department or call 000 immediately for help.

All public hospitals in Australia have a 24-hour emergency and casualty department where you can get help after hours and on the weekend.

People waiting in emergency are assessed and treated based on how serious their medical condition is. Patients with the most urgent problems are seen and treated first. If you attend the emergency department with a less serious medical condition, you may need to wait a long time to be treated.

If you’ve been admitted to hospital and have an OSHC policy with us, contact us immediately on 1800 814 781 so we can help you with your payment arrangement to the hospital.

Our 24-hour helpline

We can also help you with:

  • 24-hour medical advice and assistance
  • 24-hour referrals to a doctor for medical treatment
  • access to a solicitor for legal advice
  • access to an interpreting service
  • any messages which need to be passed to your family or friends in the event of an emergency.

Call 1800 814 781

Need to see a doctor?

If you’re sick but you do not require urgent or emergency medical attention, you may want to consider visiting a doctor (also known as a general practitioner or GP) at a medical centre.

You can access many services through your GP, including:

  • General medicine and simple diagnostic testing
  • Assessment and treatment of health problems and injuries
  • First aid services
  • Women’s and men’s health
  • Referrals to specialist services
Direct-billing medical providers

We have a network of medical centres and doctors that offer direct billing services. Using our network of providers makes it easier for you to claim when you visit a doctor. All you need to do is provide your valid membership card and the provider will bill us directly for the covered amount of your bill. With direct billing, the doctor bills us directly. Make sure you select a doctor or medical provider that specifies they can direct bill.

Your appointment

Once you’ve found a doctor or medical centre in our provider network that’s convenient for you, you’ll need to make an appointment. Make sure you bring your valid Allianz Global Assistance OSHC membership card and photo identification to your appointment.

If you would like to see a doctor who is not in our provider network, you may need to pay the full amount owing on the day and submit a claim to us to get your benefit.

Need to go to hospital?

If you’ve been referred to hospital for treatment, contact us on 13 67 42 before you’re admitted so we can help you with your payments to the hospital.

Public hospital

If you have a valid OSHC policy, we’ll cover the cost of your stay and treatment in a shared ward of a public hospital subject to the coverage outlined in the policy wording.

As a public patient, your doctors will be nominated by the hospital. When you leave hospital, your care may be continued in a clinic or a specialist's private rooms or you may be referred to your local general practitioner.

Private hospital

If you choose to be treated in a private hospital, we’ll contribute benefits towards treatment and shared ward accommodation, but you may need to pay more than what you would in a public hospital.

If you call us before you go into hospital, we’ll be able to provide you with an estimate of what it might cost you.

Did you know?

You may incur an out-of-pocket fee (known as a gap fee) if the amount the medical provider charges is more than the benefit you’re entitled to under your cover. You’ll need to pay the gap fee yourself and won’t be able to claim that amount. We recommend you call your doctor or hospital before visiting to get an idea of what it will cost you.

Need to see a specialist?

Medical specialists are doctors with additional education and training in a specific area of medicine. Examples of specialists include:

  • Cardiologist
  • Dermatologist
  • Gynaecologist
  • Paediatrician
  • Oncologist
  • Neurologist

To see a specialist, you’ll need a referral from your GP.

Some medicines need your doctor’s authorisation before a pharmacist can sell it to you. If your doctor has prescribed you medicine, you’ll need to bring your doctor’s prescription for the medicine and a form of identification to the chemist with you.

Still need help?

Our team is here to answer your questions