Melbourne, being such a multicultural city, is home to around 100,000 Muslims. To cater for the worshipping needs of such a large cross-section of the community, there are scores of mosques in Melbourne.
In fact, even if you are a Muslim and a tourist to the city, you’ll easily find plenty of facilities that will welcome you to join for prayers.
Wherever you visit or stay in Melbourne, you’re likely to never be far from a mosque or other Muslim place of worship.
- Broadmeadows Mosque – The suburb of Broadmeadows is 16 kilometres to the north-west of Melbourne’s CBD. Address: 45-55 King Street, Broadmeadows. Ph: 03 9359 0054.
- Meadow Heights Mosque – Situated 18 kilometres from the City, Meadow Heights Mosque serves the local Turkish Muslim population and a smaller number of Lebanese and Iraqi locals. Address: 15-17 Hudson Circuit, Meadow Heights.
- Sunshine Mosque – Home to the Cyprus Turkish Islamic Community of Victoria, Sunshine Mosque is Victoria’s biggest mosque and its services cater for ladies, youth groups and the elderly. Address: 618 Ballarat Road, Ardeer. Ph: 03 9363 8245.
- Thomastown Mosque – This mosque incorporates the Thomastown Turkish Education & Islamic Society. Address: 124-130 Station Street, Thomastown. Ph: 03 9465 3526.
- Deer Park Mosque – Built in 1993 but with roots dating back to the 1960s, Deer Park Mosque caters to Melbourne’s Bosnian community and welcomes multiple ethnicities. Address: 285 Station Road, Deer Park. Ph: 03 9310 8811.
- Preston Mosque – Preston was the seat of Australia’s most prominent Muslim cleric, the late Sheik Femhmi Naji El-Imam. Address: 90 Cramer Street, Preston. Ph: 03 9470 2424.
- Minhaj ul Quran Victoria, Jaame-a-Masjid - Address: 167-177 Faulkners Rd, Mount Cottrell. Phone: 03 9747 1106.
- Geelong Mosque - Address: 45-47 Bostock Avenue, Manifold Heights. Phone: 03 5224 2422.
- UMMA Centre - Address: 72 George St, Doncaster East. Phone: 03 9842 6491.
- Albanian Australian Islamic Society - Address: 765 Drummond St, Carlton North. Phone: 03 9347 6505.
- Islamic Council of Victoria (ICV) - Address: 66-68 Jeffcott St, West Melbourne. Phone: 03 9328 2067.
- Emir Sultan Mosque - Address: 139 Cleeland St, Dandenong. Phone: 0423 741 717.
- Huntingdale Mosque - Address: 320-324 Hume St, Huntingdale. Phone: 03 9543 8037.
- Werribee Islamic Centre - Address: 143A Hogans Rd, Hoppers Crossing. Phone: 03 9748 2864.
- Melbourne Madinah - Address: 359 Exhibition St, Melbourne. Phone: 1300 623 462.
- Bediuzzaman Said Nursi Cultural Foundation Central Mosque - Address: 144 Fitzroy St, Fitzroy. Phone: 03 9417 5760.
- Madinah Mosque (Mercy Mission) - Address: 47 City Rd, Southbank. Phone No: 1300 623 462.
- Broadmeadows Mosque - Address: 47 King St, Dallas. Phone: 0439 759 120.
- Al-Taqwa Mosque - Address: 201 Sayers Rd, Truganina. Phone: 03 9269 5000.
- Australian Bosnian Islamic Centre - Address: 285 Station Rd, Albanvale. Phone: 03 9310 8811.
- Coburg Islamic Centre - CIC (Fatih Mosque, Coburg Mosque) - Address: 31 Nicholson St, Coburg. Phone: 03 9386 5324.
- Melbourne Jamat Khana - Address: 170-180 Rooks Rd, Vermont. Phone: 03 9701 7300.
- Afghan Mosque - Address: 14 Photinia St, Doveton. Phone: 03 9701 7300.
- Thomastown Mosque - Address: 124/130 Station St, Thomastown. Phone: 03 9465 3526.
- Monash Mosque - Address: 16 Beddoe Ave, Clayton. Phone: 03 9902 9156.
- Brunswick Masjid/prayer room - Address: 660 Sydney Rd, Brunswick. Phone: 03 9385 8423.
- My Centre Mosque - Address: 39 Kraft Ct, Broadmeadows. Phone: 03 9309 1515.
- Keysborough Turkish Islamic Centre - Address: 396 Greens Rd, Keysborough. Phone: 03 9701 5913.
- Campbellfield Mosque - Address: 46-48 Mason St, Campbellfield. Phone: 03 9357 1203.
- Hoppers Crossing Mosque - Address: 210 Sayers Rd, Truganina. Phone: 03 9369 6010.
- Fawkner Masjid/Mosque – Part of the campus of Darul Ulum College of Victoria. Address: 17 Baird St, Fawkner. Phone: 03 9353 1477.
- Mooroopna Mosque - Address: 209 McLennan Street, Mooroopna. Phone: 03 5825 4755.
- Newport Mosque (Bilal Bin Rabah Mosque) - Address: 1 Walker Street, Newport. Phone: 03 9391 0449.
- Australian Islamic Centre - Address: 23/31 Blenheim Rd, Newport.
- Masjid Westall - Address: 130 Rosebank Ave, Clayton South.
- Maidstone Mosque - Address: 34 Studley St, Maidstone.
- Reservoir Mosque - Address: Blake St, Reservoir.
- Omar Bin Al Khattab Mosque - Address: Cramer St, Preston.
- Virgin Mary Masjid - Address: 143 Hogans Rd, Hoppers Crossing.
- Glenroy Musala - Address: 1st Floor, 92 Wheatsheaf Road, Glenroy.
- La Trobe Uni Mosque - Address: 5 The Agora, Bundoora.
- Albanian Mosque - Address: Acacia St, Shepparton.
When you’re too far from your mosque or home, you may find peace knowing the following prayer rooms are close by.
- Melbourne International Airport – Departure lounge.
- Melbourne hospitals – At the Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne (50 Flemington Road, Parkville), there is a dedicated Muslim prayer space, complete with prayer mats and washing facilities. Separate male and female facilities are provided. At The Royal Melbourne Hospital (300 Grattan Street, Cnr Royal Parade, Parkville), you’ll find a multi-faith Sacred Space in the Retail Precinct, Ground Floor between The Royal Melbourne and The Royal Women’s. Muslims will appreciate the ablutions room and prayer room.
You won’t have to look far to find really good Halal food in Melbourne. From kebab houses and Indian tandoori joints to high end restaurants, you’ll find something to suit your appetite. Try Tiba’s (Brunswick, Lygon Street and Roxburgh Park), where the menu is authentic Lebanese, all Halal and no alcohol is served there. For Halal Turkish, try Golden Terrace Restaurant in Richmond Hill where the homemade food and banquets will satisfy all. To find a list of Melbourne halal eateries and food suppliers such as butchers, visit Halal Square.
For more information on where to go for prayers or for education, marriages, funerals and other important life events, you could contact the Islamic Information & Support Centre of Australia at 31 Edward Street, Brunswick on 03 9387 7100 or the Islamic Society of Victoria at 90 Cramer Street, Preston on 03 9470 2424.
There is also the Australian Muslim Social Services Agency at 91-101 Boundary Rd, North Melbourne (Phone 03 9329 0285) and the Islamic Society of Victoria at 90 Cramer St, Preston (Phone 03 9470 2424).