485 Subclass Visa Health Cover Insurance - Allianz Global Assistance

Are you planning on staying and working in Australia after graduation? As a graduating international student, you may be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

Keep in mind that you’re required to maintain adequate health insurance while staying in Australia on a 485 visa.

Overseas Visitors Health Cover

We offer Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) that’s designed for international visitors on visas including the 485 visa, that:

  • offers Australia-wide medical and health cover if something happens to you during your stay
  • meets visa condition 8501
  • secures your health insurance certificate immediately.

About the 485 visa

The views and opinions expressed in this video are provided by Acacia Immigration Australia Pty Ltd Registered Migration Agent #9905466 and are not those of Allianz Global Assistance. Talk to your immigration consultant and visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for further information.

What the visa lets you do

The 485 visa lets international students, who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution, live, study and work in Australia temporarily.

This visa has two streams, which will determine how long you can stay in Australia.

You may also be able to bring eligible family members to Australia with you.

The Graduate Work stream

This stream is for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Skilled Occupations List. A visa in this stream lasts for 18 months.

The Post-Student Work stream

This stream is for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream lasts for up to 4 years, depending on your qualifications.

Are you eligible?

To be eligible to apply for a 485 visa, you must:

  • be younger than 50 years of age
  • hold an eligible ​visa
  • have included in your application evidence that you have met the English language requirement
  • meet the Australian study requirement in the last 6 months
  • meet health and character requirements
  • have health insurance in Australia
  • meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa.

For more information, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Health insurance requirements

The Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection requires you to maintain adequate health insurance for yourself and any family you bring with you while on a 485 visa.

We offer an Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) policy that meets visa condition 8501 for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) and gives you access to a range of benefits to help you stay healthy while you’re in Australia.

We offer two levels of OVHC cover – Budget Visitors (hospital only) and Visitors Plus – so you can choose the option that best suits your needs.

Depending on the type of cover you choose, OVHC may cover you for:

  • medical services provided in hospital
  • some prescription medicines
  • emergency ambulance transport
  • medical services provided by a general practitioner or specialist
  • medical tests outside of hospital, and more.